This summer, for the first time, I'm away from home and living at school in Normal, IL. It's been both good and bad at the same time. I love being away from home and out of 'parental control.' I love being in a bigger place than Carrollton, and I absolutely love my church here. It's such a blessing that I was led to Eastview (my church) and Fuel (Eastview's college ministry) and I'm so thankful for it. That ministry is my absolute favorite part about living here and about ISU. I'm looking forward to meeting new people this summer and getting more involved. My new small group started last week, but I'll get to go this Monday, it's called "Discovering Truth" and I'm still going back and forth about joining another group called "DesPRAYtion." Although I'm beyond excited to go to Europe next fall, I'm super sad that I'll be gone from Eastview for over four months. I'm also worried about being in Europe for so long without my church and without a spiritual leader close at hand. Thank the Lord for Trinity Church online, at least I'll be able to watch from overseas!!
While I love being away from home, I actually miss it, too. It's good in small amounts! I miss being so close to St. Louis and going to tons of Cardinal's games, I miss Ryan and Emma, and hanging out with my cousin, Katie. Kate and I have spent almost every summer day together for the past 4 years and really bond over the summer. I miss that! Even with all of these things, I think it's good to be away for a summer.
I'm taking two classes this summer and volunteering at the Crisis Nursery in Bloomington. After this summer I'll officially be done with my political science minor (I know you're laughing, emily!). That's actually my major but I don't think I'm going to follow through with it, so I'm going to just stop at a minor. I'm not sure what area of study I'm going to go into though. I've been praying about it for a really long time and I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere. It's so exhausting! Sometimes I want to just give up, but I see no purpose in picking a random path for my life without having God's say in it. After all, He did create me...I think He knows what's best for my future. I would greatly appreciate any prayers for me for some guidance in this department :)
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a job since I'll be leaving in less than two months. I'm starting to think this is a blessing in disguise. I've always struggled (especially during the school year) to find time each day to solely dedicate to God. Without working, I for once have been able to sit down each night and read for a couple hours. I'm a super slow reader and don't even really enjoy it, but I'm trying to change that. I have about six books I'm hoping to read by the end of summer. I'm jumping into the Bible and attempting to really get to know my Savior and I'm also reading "Drawing Near," a book my sister and Ross gave to me. I'm over half way through it and so far it's been great. I cannot wait to finish it and let you all know how it turns out. It's about having an intimate relationship with God, really getting to know Him and being in constant communion with Him. This past January, God placed a yearning in my heart to really get to know Him. So it only makes sense to read a book about drawing near to Him. Six months later, here I am: my yearning for Him is much stronger and I'm sure it will never go away, we can never get enough of Him. I'm desperate to know Him, to be in His presence, and to fully experience Him. I'm hoping through prayer, reading, and obedience I can know God like I've never known Him before.
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
James 4:8
For he satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness.
Psalms 107:9

No comments:
Post a Comment